Saturday, March 16, 2013

How to Save on Out of Season Fruit

I LOOOOOOVE fruit. I hate vegetables. I also love summer for it's amazing prices on fruit! I get excited when fruit starts to get marked down. Crazy? Maybe a little bit...am I the only one?

Right now, we're in the middle of March. Fruit prices are getting better slowly. The price for some apples and some oranges is down around $.99/pound, but other than that there isn't a great selection. It's still pretty cold here around this time of year.

Here's what you gotta do: look for "manager's specials" or fruit that is on it's "sell by" date. This stuff has been marked down to around 50% off! I often shop at Smith's (Kroger) to look for these types of deals.

Here's one I picked up last night!


When I saw this baby I got so excited. I've had a real craving for fruit for a few days. This is one of those large tubs and probably holds at least 3-5 pounds of fruit (I should have weighed it, so sorry). It was originally marked for $9.99! This one is a mix of kiwi, cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple, and red seedless grapes. They also had a couple with just cantaloupe. OH BOY! It was yummy! Around here, just grapes alone are going for $2.99 a pound! And of course, melons are nowhere to be seen. I'm guessing this one to be around $1.66-$1/pound, assuming it's 3-5 pounds.

It was so delicious and it didn't taste out of season at all.

ENJOY!

Tips:
  • Sell by date is not the same as expiration date.
  • Plan on using one of these containers of fruit within a few days before the fruit goes overripe.
  • Don't buy it even if it's a great deal if it doesn't look ripe as it likely won't continue to ripe in your fridge and will just be a waste of money.
  • This stuff probably isn't the most organic (I'd assume), so if you're looking for local organic than this probably isn't for you. 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment